I teach occasional basic English classes on WiZiQ, helping students from all over the world to improve their English literacy (and meeting lots of interesting people along the way). The format I have used for these classes is simple – reading articles from the daily media together, with as many students as possible participating in the reading, and then discussing the pronunciation and meaning of various words.
I have experimented with various sources of media stories for these classes, with the only criteria being that the language must be reasonably simple and the stories must include perspectives that are not entirely European or North American.
For a while I was using the BBC “Simple English” site, which is designed for the purpose, but many of my students found the vocabulary too dofficult. So I am returning to the site I mainly used when I first had this idea, the News Ltd flagship national daily newspaper “The Australian”. My students have no difficulties with the vocabulary and comprehension of stories from this newspaper.
Which is good for my purpose, but says something a bit sad about the state of media in Australia.
- #edchat 9/11 Aboriginal ASTA Australia BC/AD Bible Blogging books Catholic CE/BCE charity clock Common Era date e-learning economics economy environment equity Ethics Facebook freedom of speech geography Global_Education History Holocaust Indigenous Inspiration internet iPad Israel Jerusalem Judaism justice map media Monarchy Moodle National Curriculum New York online Peace personal action perspective Peter Singer Pius XII PLN Politics Pope Prayer Public holiday QEII Republicanism research school science social networking study teaching technology TED talks time twitter USA UTC Video Virtual Reality web 2.0 westboro baptist Wikipedia world WWII www Youtube
- Livia, Empress of Rome: A Biography by Matthew Dennison
- Australians: Eureka to the Diggers by Thomas Keneally
- Australians: Origins to Eureka (Australians Vol 1) by Thomas Keneally
- Plum Pie by P.G. Wodehouse
- A FEW QUICK ONES by P.G. Wodehouse
- Blood and Circuses (Phryne Fisher Mysteries (Paperback)) by Kerry Greenwood
- Rome: A Cultural, Visual, and Personal History by Robert Hughes
- Tiger men by Judy Nunn